Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 21, 2012

D-Day -3

Welcome to the first of hopefully many blog entries over the next few months. I've started this as part of my FIRST class at Boston University (MET AD648) with the Masters of Science - Project Management as my end goal.
OK, let me back up a bit, I've been looking at graduate programs for a few years now and couldn't decide if I really wanted to pursue one, my friend Angeline, who got her MBA a few years back, even recommended against it and at the same time gave me one of the best complements ever, she said "Why would you want to put yourself through this, we are learning to do what you already do?" As some of you know I started PK Consulting, Inc (www.pk-consulting.com) in 1999, after dabbling in this as a side business for a few years while working in Corporate America, I approached a cross roads in my life in 2001, to make a long story short, serious health issues prevented me from working for "the man" any more and I had to turn PKC into a real business. Fortunately I was able to do so and have never looked back. Now when I complete this program it’s not like I’m going to promote or give myself a raise, however it's  something that I want to do just for me. If it enhances or adds to my current skillset and that transfer to current clients or allows me attract new ones, then great, but I think the sense of accomplishment along with the interesting, intelligent and diverse faculty and students that I will interact with and the “book” knowledge gained are the true draws back to academia.
So, D-Day -3, why is that the subject? Well I’ve started this blog a few weeks before class begins because I’m going on vacation and want to share that with experience with everyone (and I’m a little concerned I’ll run out of things to write in the daily grind). I am going to Australia for 2.5 weeks and will be renting a motorcycle to ride from Sydney to Brisbane going north through the mountains and returning on the coast. This is the trip that I’ve been planning, dreaming and saving for since I went into the Marine Corps at 18. Yea things have been stable for a while now, but it still never seemed to be quite the right time and I just kept coming up with excuses of why not. Well no more, I’m not getting any younger, despite my trying and when this opportunity arose and the stars all aligned, I decided to pull the trigger and am leaving on Tuesday. Thus I will be sharing stories, pictures, videos and whatever else I can think of to invite you in to this once in a lifetime experience.
Thanks for reading and we’ll talk soon.
Paul

2 comments:

  1. So have you watched all of the Mad Max movies yet? This should get you in the mood for a great ride. Good luck and be safe and if you can rent a helmet with a mohawk you will fit right in with the Mad Max guys when you run into them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, this is a very professionally designed blog. My major is banking and financial management, and this is my 7th classes in BU. I did not go back to school until almost 18 years after I finished my first degree. I have made lots of investments in my life: stocks, futures, and real estates. When my own business started to slow down in 2008, I decide to make an investment on myself by pursuing a degree. I never regret my choice.

    Have fun with your trip!

    Mei

    ReplyDelete